Sunday, October 11, 2009

In My Mailbox (27)

In My Mailbox was created by The Story Siren.

So this week I had a good week in the way of books. Well actually it could be bad for my shelf which is now overflowing with books needing to be read but however.

I got one book in the mail for review and that is:


Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran

Following Cleopatra and Marc Antony's deaths, their three children - twins named Alexander and Selene plus a younger son named Ptolemy - are exiled from Egypt and sent to Rome in chains to be raised in one of the most fascinating (and dangerous) courts of all time. Cleopatra's Daughter is the remarkable true story of what happens to these three surviving children as seen through the eyes of Selene. Their adaptation to Roman culture, their treatment as both a curiosity and a threat, and Selene's perilous journey to adulthood, are all chronicled in the elegant detail and gripping pace for which Michelle Moran is celebrated.

And I got out a heap of books from the library.


Tricks by Ellen Hopkins

Five troubled teenagers fall into prostitution as they search for freedom, safety, community, family, and love.

Peace, Love and Baby Ducks by Lauren Myracle

Fifteen-year-old Carly's summer volunteer experience makes her feel more real than her life of privilege in Atlanta ever did, but her younger sister starts high school pretending to be what she is not, and both find their relationships suffering.

Geektastic: Stories from the nerd herd

A collection of twenty-nine short stories about geeks.

Liar by Justine Larbalestier

Micah Wilkins is a liar. But when her boyfriend Zach, dies under brutal circumstances, the shock might be enough to set her straight. Or maybe not. Was Micah dating Zach? Did they kiss? Did she see him the night she died? Where does the truth actually lie?

And keeping up with the theme of New Zealand book month I got two books by New Zealand authors. They are:

Brainjack by Brian Falkner

Sam, a teenage computer genius, takes up an invitation to join a secret online convention for the best hackers in the world. The location for the convention? The White House. But Sam finds out that it is really a challenge to find expert hackers to protect the country. Sam is thrown into a world of international high-risk security and double crossing traitors where he must protect the world from a metasystem, connected to every computer terminal satellite and secuitry camera, that seeks to erase the human race.


Plague of the Undead by Gary Cross

When Lucius is ten years old his father returns home one evening as a vampire and destroys his entire family. By luck Lucius is spared. Fifteen years later Lucius has joined the elite group of vampire hunters who saved his life that night. Now it's his turn to lead the hunt, this time on the trail of a master vampire, who has survived hundreds of years and is intent on turning the world into a vampire race. Through Paris and the wilds of Europe Lucius tracks his quarry, eventually running him to ground in the plague infested streets of London. But this is no ordinary vampire will Lucius survive or will he too enter the realm of the undead?

And finally I got two mangas from the library which I have already read and returned.

Vampire Knight Volume 1 by Matsuri Hino


Chibi Vampire Volume 12 by Yuna Kagesaki

Karin struggles with her sister growing apart from her as new revelations on why vampires and humans cannot be together are revealed--and it's all a prelude to more trouble that may be on the way! Can Kenta and Karin overcome the forces trying to keep them apart? Will they ever be able to take their love to the next level? And what is the shocking truth that Calera has brought home with her from her birthplace?

And that is all I got this week. I can't wait to see what everyone else got.

15 comments:

  1. It looks like you got some great book this week. Happy reading =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice haul, you've reminded me that I need to read Liar asap. Curious to read your thoughts on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Vampire Knight, I hope u like it. Liar!!! i really want that one :D Great Haul, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for manga! :D Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! you had a very good week! Zombies, Vampires and other good reads. Enjoy all your books :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous you got Vampire Knight! I LOVE that anime!!!!!! I know the manga is still going on but I just love the show so much I want it to continue already! hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great books this week! I like the Vampire Knight anime. Haven't tried the manga, though. Hope you enjoy your books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you enjoy Cleopatra's Daughter! I'm waiting for my copy at the library. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible selection! I especially want to read Tricks and Geektastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great books. Enjoy reading them :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cleopatra's Daughter sounds like a great read. I've been hearing really good things about the author, so I definitely need to pick up her books. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet stash :-D lIAR is kind of bizarre, but still good.
    -amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tricks is a book I really want to read. I read Vampire Knight volume 1 I think. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vampire Knight is awesome. Hope you enjoy it and all your other books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hear good things about Ellen Hopkins books I hope you like Tricks.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!