Monday, October 12, 2009

I am not Esther by Fleur Beale

I am not Esther by Fleur Beale
Published: Dunedin : Longacre Press, 1998

Imagine that your mother tells you that she is going away. She is leaving you with relatives whom you have never heard of-and they are members of a strict religious cult. Your name is changed to a biblical one, Esther, and you are forced to follow the severe set of social standards set by the cult. You don't know where you mother is, and you are beginning to lose your own identity.

I had to read I am not Esther at school for my english class. Sometimes the books we get in english aren't very interesting but I am not Esther was actually quite an interesting book.

I'd never read anything like this book before and so it was interesting all of the different aspects including lifestyle of the religious cult.

All of the characters were quite interesting. I felt sorry for Kirby/Esther though. It must've been really tough for her to go through a completely life-altering experience and lifestyle change. I felt sorry for a couple of the other characters too because they were trapped within the compound.

The story as a whole was definitely interesting and unique. I have to say that I think I am not Esther is quite a serious novel and doesn't really have any fun parts. Mostly it is a real-life fiction type of book. There are a couple of sad parts throughout the book too.

The ending was really good in some ways and quite sad in others.

Overall, I am not Esther is an interesting read. I have to say I didn't overly love it and I didn't hate it. I found it to be quite an interesting story that was quite a different book compared to others I normally read. If religious cults interest you then this book is probably going to be a good one for you.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, this sounds like something I'd be interested in. Great review. This sounds like an awesome plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting hearing this book is studied in schools - I can definitely see why it would appeal to teachers on an issues front!

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!