Thursday, October 15, 2009

Horse Apples by Ged Maybury

Horse Apples by Ged Maybury
Published: Auckland : Scholastic, 1998
Series: Book 1, Horse Apples

Randy and Piho need some pocket money. Their intention to steal some money from the owner of a stud farm soon changes and they begin working for the farm manager gathering up horse manure and selling it at a roadside stall. Telling lies about the purpose of their stall leads to the whole of the school league team selling manure to raise money for new jerseys. Further deception turns to good when the boys become involved with a television crew who want to use children from their school in a TV commercial which will earn the school a lot of money. The commercial, however, stars Randy and Piho in a most unexpected way.

I remember reading Horse Apples and having a good laugh. It is definitely a funny book about two guys who want to get rich. They have some interesting ideas about how to get money too.

I have to say though, while the story line is indeed a funny one, I thought it was more serious than it seems at first glance.

The story line itself was a pretty good one. I found it to be quite unique and extremely entertaining.

The characters were all really interesting. Randy and Piho are both really funny guys.

Overall, Horse Apples is a really light, funny and entertaining read. It's more suited to a younger audience but I still find the books to be really funny. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who likes a good fun read.

The other books in the series are Crab Apples and Pig Apples.

2 comments:

  1. Great review. This sounds like a book that'd brighten up a day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing this around!!! I remember I used to laugh at the cover because it looks really funny. I may have to read this one.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!