Friday, October 9, 2009

Genesis by Bernard Beckett

Genesis by Bernard Beckett
Published: Dunedin : Longacre Press, 2006

Now we are alone. Outsiders can no longer be trusted and are shot on sight. Here in the new Republic the people serve the State and the Philosophers who guide it. Until one man, Adam Forde puts himself at grave risk, and changes everything.

This is the third book by Bernard Beckett that I have read and I can safely say that each and every one of his novels are definitely unique. Never in my entire life have I ever read anything like Genesis. I am truly amazed at the wonder of this book.

At first it was a little confusing because of things like "Republic", "Plato", "Soc". I kept wondering why these were in the book when it was so obviously set in the fututre. Fortunately, I continued to read through this tale and these things no longer mattered.

Bernard Beckett's book has definitely peaked my interest. The more I read it the more I wanted to know about what was going on. And piece by piece we were told little pieces of information up until this massive twist appeared. I usually can tell with these kind of things but ummm no, not even close. Seriously, you have to read the book if not for the HUGE twist at the end.

Not only is Genesis a science fiction novel in a futuristic atmosphere it is also a very deep, thought-provoking philosophical novel. It asks some really interesting questions such as what does it mean to be human?

While we are not told much about Anax's life we are given enough information to see how she feels and thinks. We are given enough information to like Anax.

The cover, I find to be a very interesting one. I now know why the cover is what it is and I will say no more about it.

There were only two things I have to say I didn't quite like. But they did not detract my attention to the story line as a whole which is good.
1. One of the surprise parts of the story which I will not give away but I can just say that it is something I'm kind of sensitive about which gives me nightmares. All I can say is that it concerns the Art. So yeah.
2. There was one thing that didn't make sense and was left unanswered and it's probably going to annoy me for a couple of days before I get over it.

Overall, Genesis is a very interesting book. It is quite short so doesn't take long to get to the very awesome and powerful ending that Genesis provides. So next time you see this book definitely pick it up because it is definitely worth a read.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic review! Genesis sounds like such an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great review. I loved this book too. When I got to the twist I was so shocked I made my partner listen to me recapping everything that had happened so I'd have someone else to share the shock with. It was *that* good. Not sure which bit didn't make sense to you, maybe something I missed? But I'm intrigued to know what!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!