Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Fat Man by Maurice Gee

The Fat Man by Maurice Gee
Published: Auckland : Viking, 1994

Colin Potter becomes drawn into the life of Herbert Muskie, a vindictive man who has reason to hate the people of Loomis; and somehow Colin's parents are also involved in the secrets of the past.

I remember the first time I ever saw The Fat Man. I was at my school library and I was about 12 or so and laughing with my friends and I thought "what kind of a book is called The Fat Man" so I got it out of the library as a laugh. I have since then had this book out many times and read it about five times.

The Fat Man is one of my all time favourite books by a New Zealand author. It is highly entertaining and slightly magical. The Fat Man is definitely unique and wonderful. It is the kind of book that you should definitely read at least three times. Well, maybe.

All of the characters are exceptional. The Fat Man is mean and horrible and he is one of the worst characters I have ever read about. In a nutshell he does some really mean stuff. And it works really well. I like Colin too, he is the 'hero' of the story and he does a pretty good job of it too.

I loved the story line. All of the elements of the book combined to make a completely magical, wondrous and lovable tale. It is actually a really sad story too. I felt kind of sad at the end.

So The Fat Man is this really really great book and I would definitely suggest reading it if you ever see it. You will definitely love it.

11 comments:

  1. I agree. We are studying it in english. We have our own blog about it. Most people hate it but I really like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked this book except it gets a bit dumb when the ending comes along Colin didn't get his happily ever after!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the Moment I am Doing this book for English, but we'are working chapter to chapter, but so far im liking the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah same here we're doing this book in English. The year group above us is reading the hunger games. JEALOUS!!!!

      Delete
    2. oi same for us! the hunger is epic man!!

      Delete
  4. I have to write an essay about this novel!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg me too...

      Delete
    2. same here :p

      Delete
    3. GAH same -.-

      Delete
    4. do you guys have some quotes?

      Delete

Comments are always awesome!