Thursday, August 27, 2009

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska by John Green
Published: New york : Dutton Books, c2005

Sixteen-year-old Miles' first year at Culver Creek Preparatory School in Alabama includes good friends and great pranks, but is defined by the search for answers about life and death after a fatal car crash.

When I first got Looking for Alaska I knew there was quite a lot of people saying how good a book it was. I personally thought it was about a boy who goes on a road trip to Alaska. I now know that I was definitely wrong about the car trip part.

From the start of the book I found Looking for Alaska to be a really interesting book. I knew that something sad was going to happen but I didn't know what it was going to be.

I loved the way John Green developed the relationships between the characters. I think my favourite character would have to be Colonel. To me he seemed the most interesting and caring character. I have to admit there were times where I didn't like some of the characters and other times where I really liked the characters and felt sorry for them.

As I got closer and closer to the final day before, I found myself wondering what was going to happen. I had already guessed who it would happen to but when the event actually came I was quite surprised by how unexpected it was. It was just out of the blue.

Afterwards was pretty sad though. I felt sorry for Miles, the Colonel and especially Takumi who seemed to be shoved out of the picture for a while.

I think that my favourite part of the story was the ultimate prank, I had a huge grin on my face as I was reading that part.

Overall, John Green's Looking for Alaska is a really good book. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry. It will definitely send you on an emotional roller-coaster ride. So next time you see this book and you haven't read it, be sure to pick it up because this is one book that you will surely enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!