Monday, August 17, 2009

The Future of Books

The Future of Books

I was reading through one of my computer science textbooks and read a really interesting passage. I thought I should share it. I found it in a section about ebooks.


"Ebooks today are mostly read on devices with rigid LCD screens — laptop computers, handheld computers and special purpose ebook readers that resemble tablets. But researchers may soon perfect a form of digital paper that will enable ebooks (as well as emagazines and enewspapers) to look and feel more like their paper counterparts. Electronic paper, or epaper, is a flexible, portable, paperlike material that can dynamically display black-and-white text and images on its surface. Unlike traditional paper, digital paper can erase itself and display new text and images as the reader 'turns' the page. A busy commuter might soon be able to carry a complete morning newspaper and several important business documents in a sheet of digital paper stuffed in his pocket!" ~ George Beekman and Michael J. Quinn, Tomorrow's Technology and You


In a way to me, this seems like science fiction. I'd find it really weird reading an entire book on just one piece of 'paper'. I've read ebooks before and I found them hard to read for long periods of time.
One thing I can find happening is if the screen of the digital paper is like a cellphone or computer screen it will be hard to read in the daytime because of the glare. I definitely think I would prefer to read a real book than one like this.


How about you? What do you think about this?

4 comments:

  1. Thats a really interesting passage. I never thought of books being on an electronic piece of pseudo paper. It seems a little weird now but in the futture it could be normal. But I think I would prefer books to stay the way they are now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not entirely comfortable with the current eReaders, so don't know how I would feel about an ePaper type of device. I know that the various manufacturers are working on the glare problem, so who knows what they'll come up with. Probably something super-cool and fun! Yes, it sounds like science fiction right now, but so did cell phones and CDs at one point. Science is a strange and wonderful thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love real books. Do not want to change them for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I need to see this to believe it. I think the kindle is already impressive, but I'll have to see about that flexible epaper. Nice article. =)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!