Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sandman : Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman

Sandman : Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman
Publisher: New York : DC Comics, c1997
Series: Volume 1, Sandman

In PRELUDES & NOCTURNES, an occultist attempting to capture Death to bargain for eternal life traps her younger brother Dream instead. After his 70 year imprisonment and eventual escape, Dream, also known as Morpheus, goes on a quest for his lost objects of power. On his arduous journey Morpheus encounters Lucifer, John Constantine, and an all-powerful madman.

Sandman : Preludes and Nocturnes wasn't anything like I had expected it to be. At first I wasn't entirely sure what age group this was made for but now I think I'm pretty sure it's for adults.
I quite liked reading Sandman the story line itself was a pretty good one. Plus I liked the references to other characters in other comic series and movies. There were aksi a few references to places which were cool.
I quite liked the illustrations in the book especially the ones for the chapter titles. They were really good drawings. I can see why a lot of people like the artist.
One thing I was a bit surprised at was the amount of violence within the book. But I guess if you come across the characters in the book they would tend to be violent. I think the violence is the main reason why this is classed as being for adults.
Another thing I liked about the book was that there were some quite witty and humorous parts to it.
Overall, I thoguth that Sandman wasn't too bad of a graphic novel. I'd recommend this one to anyone not fazed by a little violence and anyone who likes graphic novels. I may read the rest of the series in the future.
My Rating: φφφ

3 comments:

  1. i like the sound of this i should look into these ones. WHen i finish all my other books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Season of mist is my favorite, with zombies, demons and all manor of Gods and Goddesse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer "La casa de muñecas" ("Dollhouse" in english I think), and after "Season of mist".

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!