Thursday, July 9, 2009

Memorable Books

Memorable Books

I often read other people's book blogs and they mention a lot of things about books that sparked their love of reading and books that they'll always treasure.
I have to confess that I have always loved reading. I do remember going through massive slumps where I couldn't really be bothered reading and I remember books that got me really into reading. This post today, is about those books.


The first of these is the Franklin the Turtle series by Paulette Bourgeois. I remember when I was about 3 and went to kindergarten I used to cry every day that my mum dropped me off. To make me feel better the kindy teacher would read books to me and most of the time it would be these Franklin the Turtle books.
I really loved them and they sparked my interest in books from a very early age.



The next lot of memorable books in my life were the Goosebumps books. Especially this one, Beware the Snowman. I got a copy of this one the day that my youngest sister was born. So I was 6 and almost 7. It took me around two years to read it because I lost it for a while. I remember when I finished it I felt really happy because I had actually finished one of these books.
Needless to say, I fell instantly in love with the Goosebumps series and read as many as I could and I still own heaps of them.
Green for Danger is a really memorable book to me because it is the very first chapter book I read in an entire day. I was about 10 and I remember sitting on my dad's couch reading this book. It took me most of the day but I felt so proud of myself when I finished it.
Green for Danger isn't really a very big book but for me it was a huge accomplishment.


And here it is...
The Beloved Harry Potter Books. I remember getting the first book for my eleventh birthday and I read it and absolutely loved it. Harry Potter is definitely one of my all-time favourite series'.
As soon as I had finished the first book I had to get the other two (there were only three out at the time). I rememer every time the latest Harry Potter book came out I would get really really excited.
Harry Potter definitely sparked my interest in reading.

The last book I have to mention is Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. I only read this last year but I have to say that I really loved this book. It definitely got me thinking about the world and got me really interested in philosophy and that sort of thing.
While there are definitely a lot more books that I've read I just thought I would share with you books that have majorly influenced my reading choices. Looking at these books I love horror, I love mystery and I love fantasy and I think that some of these books probably played a huge role in that.
What are some books that got you really interested in reading? Are there any books that made you steer clear of any sort of genre/author etc.? Comment with your thoughts. I'm always interested to hear about books in any way shape or form.

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh, I remember reading Sophie's World in high school and just loved it. I recently got the audio book so that I can listen to it in pieces while on long drives. Been trying to get my husband to read it for the past few years so maybe the audio book will help. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!