Sunday, July 19, 2009

In My Mailbox (16)

In My Mailbox (16)

In My Mailbox was created by The Story Siren.

This week I had a huge week in the way of books. For me anyway. Most of the books I got this week were from the library but I did get an ebook for review and I also bought an astronomy textbook.

For review:

The Noticer by Andy Andrews

Orange Beach, Alabama is a simple town filled with simple people. But they all have their share of problems – marriages teetering on the brink of divorce, young adults giving up on life, business people on the verge of bankruptcy, and many of the other obstacles that life seems to dish out to the masses.

Fortunately, when things look the darkest – a mysterious old man named Jones has a miraculous way of showing up. Communicating what he calls “a little perspective,” Jones explains that he has been given a gift of noticing things that others miss. In his simple interactions, Jones speaks to that part in everyone that is yearning to understand why things happen and what they can do about it.

This one sounds really interesting and I've started it already and it's quite good so far.


Shadowed Summer by Saundra Mitchell

In the small town of Ondine, Louisiana, fourteen-year-old Iris uncovers family secrets when she conjures up the ghost of a boy missing for decades and decides to solve the mystery of his disappearance.

This one sounds spooky and it's a mystery so it's definitely my kind of read.


The Uninvited by Tim Wynne-Jones

After a disturbing freshman year at New York University, Mimi is happy to get away to her father's remote Canadian cottage only to discover a stranger living there who has never heard of her or her father and who is convinced that Mimi is responsible for leaving sinister tokens around the property.

The cover of this one looks really creepy and the description sounds really good so I grabbed this one when I had the opportunity.


Stargazer by Claudia Gray

Teenage vampire Bianca finds herself the target when evil wraiths attack her boarding school, Evernight Academy.

I really like Evernight and so when this one was available I grabbed it so I could read it. I've heard that it's not as good as Stargazer but I shall soon find out myself.

Zombie Queen of Newbury High by Amanda Ashby

Quiet, unpopular, non-cheerleading Mia is blissfully happy. Rob-super hot football god-has asked her to prom! Life couldn’t get any better. Enter Samantha -cheerleader queen and Miss Popularity-who has made it quite clear that Rob should be her prom date. Mia is desperate to make sure she doesn’t end up dumped in front of the whole school. So with prom in just a few days, she turns to Candice-her holistic, hypochondriac best friend-and decides to try a love spell to make Rob stay with her. Unfortunately, she ends up inflicting a zombie virus on her whole class instead, and she is their zombie leader! At first she loves all the attention. But when she learns from zombie hunter hottie Chase that her classmates will actually try to eat her in a few days, she’s not too thrilled. She’s sure she and Chase can figure something out, but in the meantime, she’s suggesting that no one wear white to prom, because things could get very messy.


You are so Undead to me by Stacey Jay

Megan Berry's social life is so dead. Literally.

Fifteen-year-old Megan is a Zombie Settler by birth, which means she's part-time shrink to a bunch of dead people with a whole lot of issues.

And things are about to get even worse. Someone at school is using black magic to turn average, angsty Undead into flesh-eating Zombies and it's up to Megan to stop the zombie apocalypse...


Wicked Lovely Desert Tales Sanctuary by Melissa Marr

The desert is far away from the schemes of the Faerie Courts—and that's how Rika likes it. Once a mortal and now a faery, Rika seeks isolation and revels in her ability to appear invisible to humans. Then, she meets him. Artistic and kind, Jayce is the last person Rika wants to hide from.

But change is coming, challenging Rika's freedom and her new romance, as her past pursues her, even into the heart of the desert. . . .


Avalon High Coronation Volume two by Meg Cabot

Will's dangerous brother has been released from the mental hospital, but is he trustworthy? Meanwhile, Mr. Morton is sure that Will is the reincarnation of King Arthur--and he must convince him before the world ends.



Avalon High Coronation Volume One by Meg Cabot

Ellie must convince Will that he is reallly the reincarnation of King Arthur so the Merlin prophecy will occur.


The Dust of 100 Dogs by A. S King


In the late 17th century, famed pirate Emer Morrisey was on the cusp of escaping pirate life with her one true love and unfathomable riches when she was slain and cursed with the dust of 100 dogs, dooming her to one hundred lives as a dog before returning to a human body—with her memories intact. Now she's a contemporary American teenager, and all she needs is a shovel and a ride to Jamaica.

Dark Calling by Darren Shan

Events take an unexpected turn in this ninth awesome foray into the worlds of the Demonata..."I know it's ridiculous. Lights can't whisper. But I swear I heard a voice calling to me. It sounded like static to begin with, but then it came into focus, a single word repeated over and over. Softly, slyly, seductively, insistently. Come!" The Disciples are being manipulated by beings older than time. Only Kernel Fleck knows that something is wrong. But he is in the grip of a creature who cares nothing for the fate of humanity. Voices are calling to him from the darkness and he's powerless to resist. Kernel has already been to hell and back. Now he's about to go further!

Yay I am so excited to get my hands on this book. I've been waiting to read it for ages since the cliffhanger ending of the seventh book!!! Which left me hanging in the eighth book to get to this the ninth book.

12 comments:

  1. Wow great books this week!

    I can't wait to read your review of wicked lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got some AMAZING books! Enjoy them!

    I gave you an award!! Here:
    http://jessloovesagoodstory.blogspot.com/2009/07/my-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. good stuff! yay for the zombies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got some cool titles. I like Stargazer the plot is kind of unique. Enjoy your books!


    Peace
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got some really great books this week. Stargazer, So Undead, Zombie Queen and D100D are all really good. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Avalon High (not the graphic novels, though) and really enjoyed it. And I can't wait to read Dust of 100 Dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got some great books! Zombie Queen sounds really interesting!
    And I have been meaning to read Shadowed Summer!

    Great haul. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been thinking about getting The Uninvited myself. I feel like the last creepy book that I read was The Forest of Hands and Teeth (and that was a while ago) Hopefully you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoo Hoo!! Great week. Lots of stuff I'm jealous of :) I'll be looking forward to your reviews. Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great week! I can't wait to read Dust of 100 Dogs either. Really liked You are So Undead to Me, however was rather indifferent to Zombie Queen. Oh and Shadowed Summer, been meaning to read that too. Again, great week! Lots of Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The WL graphic novel looks great. I'm looking forward to your review of that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I'm amazed by all your awesome books! I really want to read Undead Much and Shadowed Summer. Looks like you'll be busy! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!