Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Books From Different Countries

Books From Different Countries

One thing that I've noticed while reading books is that books written in certain countries differ from books written in other countries. One main example of this is US and UK books.
I've read one or two books that have been translated into english from another language but I can't say I really noticed the writing style and language and such in them.
The one obvious difference is of course the spelling of certain words. For example Rumors as opposed to Rumours.
Seeing as how last week I was reading books about weight issues I noticed one big major factor and that was that all of the books I read used pounds as the weight measurement and as I'm not entirely familiar with how heavy or light that was I used the translator on my phone to give me the equivalent in KGs.
The language use is different too, for example in one book a term could mean one thing but then if it's from another country it could mean something else.
Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining here but I was just thinking about how it's quite interesting the different styles the books take on when they're from a certain country.
What are your thoughts on this kind of thing? What do you do if there are parts you don't entirely understand?

5 comments:

  1. I think it's fun reading slang from different places. Like with Georgia Nicolson books for example. I never knew what being "po-faced" meant until I read GN. It's super funny. But if there's no glossary in the back to explain, then I have no idea what the hell's going on. And I hate confusion!

    Prada & Prejudice was ok. I didn't LOVE it like I hoped I would...but it had its cute moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read books in both spanish and english. And I got to say I prefer english.

    The only book I can read in spanish is the HP series, and it's because I'm use to it.

    There isn't a great YA variation in spanish, and thats a pity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its always interesting to learn about the different lingo like with the maximum ride series when they were talking about scones and biscuits and how theyre different there. As for the weight thing yeah i convert sometimes so i can get the whole picture of whats going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to find the difference interesting, with translations from a foreign language the trend is to try and make it as english in structure and story as possible, so the end result seems like proper english and a perfectly correct story, but it can in fact miscarry what the author was trying to say in a single sentence, in terms of mood or suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Books from different English speaking countries don't seem to bother me at all. If I read "colour", I would bet it's Canadian. If I read "color", I might think it's American, and if I read "bloody", I'll bet more money that it's British.

    There's just something that makes me chuckle when someone says "Oh bloody *something*" because I don't know how to use it and I don't hear it often. =)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!