Thursday, July 2, 2009

Artichoke's Heart by Suzanne Supplee

Artichoke's Heart by Suzanne Supplee
Published: New York : Dutton Books, c2008.


When she is almost sixteen years old, Rosemary decides she is sick of being overweight, mocked at school and at Heavenly Hair--her mother's beauty salon--and feeling out of control, and as she slowly loses weight, she realizes that she is able to cope with her mother's cancer, having a boyfriend for the first time, and discovering that other people's lives are not as perfect as they seem from the outside.

I quite enjoyed reading Artichoke's Heart. The first thing that caught my eye was the cover. When I originally saw the cover I had no idea what the book was about. I also thought there was a huge difference between the cover and the title.

The good thing is, Artichoke's Heart was even better than I thought it would be. It was really interesting and I ended up reading it really fast.

The characters were all very interesting and well-developed. For a while I disliked Aunt Mary but as time went on I got to watch the characters change and grow and become better people, which I really liked.

The storyline itself was a really good one. From the very first page I was sucked in and wanted to know more about Rosemary, her life and her family. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Rosemary and how she developed into the person that she was at the end.

I have no complaints about that ending. It was good.

I feel that Suzanne Supplee was able to capture the emotions of the story really well and so when the mood of the book was angry, I was angry.

Overall, I really enjoyed Artichoke's Heart. It's a great read about one girls struggle with being a normal teenager and trying to lose some weight. I'd recommend this one to anyone who enjoys a real-life read kind of story.

My Rating: φφφφ

3 comments:

  1. OMG isn't this cover yummy? I really liked this one. I read it about a year ago and found it to be very genuine and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate... must have...

    *Eats the cover*

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello. i am reading this book for a class and was wondering what the setting is in this book.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!