Saturday, June 13, 2009

Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith

Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith
Published: Cambridge, MA : Candlewick Press, 2007

When multiple murders in Austin, Texas, threaten the grand re-opening of her family's vampire-themed restaurant, seventeen-year-old, orphaned Quincie worries that her best friend-turned-love interest, Keiren, a werewolf-in-training, may be the prime suspect.

Tantalize was quite a good novel.
It started out a little confusing but then became a potential for a really great read. The take on the vampire genre was an interesting one I must say.
The story line itself was really intriguing, mystery and suspicion lurked around every corner. I found myself suspicious of most of the characters at some point in time. I have to say though, I was a little let down near the end of the book. I felt the story line and the characters began a downward slope into boredom and a lot of confusion.
There was a lot of mention of food throughout the book and as I was read it I got more and more hungry. Some of the food mentioned sounded really really delicious.
The characters themselves were all entertaining and all had reasons for suspicion. Although, in saying that none of the characters really stuck out in my mind as being too great.
The ending was a little disappointing too, but the end was so abrupt I find myself wanting to know what happened. I'm hoping there is a sequel but at this point in time I only know there is a companion novel.
Overall, I found Tantalize to be a tantalizing read for the most part as it drew me into the story but at the same time I found it to be lacking something. Tantalize is a really interesting take on the vampire genre and I recommend this one to food lovers as well as vampire and werewolf fans.
My Rating: φφφ

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting version of vampires. I may get hungry during this novel/thirsty. I'll hopefully be fine if I have Tropicana. Thanks for an excellent and honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book, and for the most part, I agree. I found myself confused a lot in the beginning, and at the end it was like, "That's how it ends??" Great review! :)

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!