Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Piggies by Nick Gifford

Piggies by Nick Gifford
Published: London : Puffin, 2003

A freak storm transports Ben to a parallel world inhabited by vampires. He manages to escape to the woods where others like him (called ferals by the vampires) hide. As he begins to give up hope of ever getting home, Ben makes friends with Rachel, a vampire more human than some of the ferals who treat him with suspicion. Rachel takes Ben to her farm in an attempt to prove that she's not like the other vampires, but that's when he discovers a terrible secret. And why is the book called Piggies? That's the worst horror of all.


Piggies is different to other vampire books I have read. It was an interesting take on the vampire genre. It's quite a short read so could be read in an afternoon.
The characters were all pretty decent. I didn't dislike the way in which any of them were presented and I didn't love any of them either.
At first I felt that things were a little confusing, I had no idea what was going on. Eventually some of my confusion was fixed. There was a slight twist at the end that wasn't really anything to write home about but it wasn't horrible.
Overall, Piggies was quite a pleasant, short read. While this is supposed to be a young adults book I felt that the content was more for younger readers. I'd recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of the vampire genre and is looking for a refreshing take on it.
My Rating: φφφ

5 comments:

  1. The blurb and picture make it seem really interesting but it sounds quite average. This is a book where if I see it, I might pick it up. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure it is for younger readers, because I remember a while back, when I was in... gr. 7 I think, a group of kids in my class read this book for english.

    Nice review. :)

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI I HAVE READ THE BOOK AND ITS OK BUT IT GETS A BIT BORING HALF WAY IN THE BOOK BUT GOOD BOOK REVIEW

    ReplyDelete
  4. COULD U SAY HI TO MISS MCDONELL

    THANKS

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!