Sunday, June 14, 2009

In My Mailbox (11)

In My Mailbox (11)

In My Mailbox was created by The Story Siren.

This week I tried to be good and maintain some self-control when I went to the library, unfortunately it didn't turn out so well. So this week I got quite a lot of books.

Borrowed:


When a gorgeous new student's prediction that a teacher will be murdered comes true, seventeen-year-old Daisy is determined to solve the crime, but when all signs point to the killer being a werewolf, she fears she is in over her head.

I borrowed this one and I notice that there is a book before it. I'm not sure but do you have to read Dead is the new black before you read this one?

From the library:


When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends–her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over.
Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know that he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her.
This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget.

I've heard a lot about this book so I decided to pick it up and see what I thought myself.



My Life is a Girdle by Gretel Killeen
Bravo, bonjour and welcome! Here it is, the hugely anticipated sequel to the enormous cult classics and intergalactic bestsellers My Life is a Toilet, My Life is a Wedgie and My Life is a Boob Tube. Laugh, weep and make you frizzy hair smooth as Fleur not only deals with being dumped, a massive zit and a dying grandma who's turned orange, but also competes against her family for a million dollars in a reality TV show that's broadcast live across the universe. Oh yes, that's right, the books is brilliant because it reveals the duplicity of human nature, the complications of love, and Fleur's bum.

I've read the other three books in this series, I loved them and I had no idea there was a fourth book. So, naturally, when I saw it I just had to grab it.



Diagnosed with schizophrenia as a child, sixteen-year-old Erin has spent half of her life in therapy, but now must face the possibility of weird things in the real world, including shapeshifting friends and her 'alter' a centuries-old vampire.

This book is the fifth in the Den of Shadows series and before I read it I'm waiting for book number four which I have on hold at the moment. I always prefer to read series in order even when sometimes you don't have to.




Two high school girls, one an anorexic poet and the other an obese loner, form an unlikely friendship.

I've been interested in reading this book for quite a while and so I picked it up and will be using it for an upcoming theme week.


Jane's big sister, Lizzie, has always been the center of attention. No one ever pays attention to boring, plain Jane. But Jane's twelfth birthday marks the beginning of Lizzie's final descent into a fatal eating disorder, and Jane discovers that the only thing harder than living in her big sister's shadow is living without her ...
In the wake of tragedy, Jane learns to look through her camera lens and frame life differently, embracing her broken family and understanding that every girl has her season to blossom.

What initially intrigued me about this novel was the cover. It reminded me of some kind of lemon meringue swirl which I love lemon flavoured things a lot. Upon closer inspection however, I see that it is actually a rose (I think), which is actually more fitting to the title.


When Wilhelmina and April find themselves roomates at a fat camp, both with very different goals, they find they have very little in common until they are both humiliated by the same person.

This one I picked up because of an upcoming theme week and it looked to be pretty good.


Having faced teasing that turned into a brutal attack, Christianity expressed as persecuction, and the loss of his only real friend when he could no longer keep his crush under wraps, seventeen-year-old Billy Bloom, a drag queen, decides the only way to become fabulous again is to run for homecoming Queen at his elite, private school near Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

I thought this book looked really interesting and I've heard some really good things about it so when I saw it on the shelf at the library I just couldn't resist.

Well, that was my week in books, can't wait to see what everyone else got.

26 comments:

  1. Great haul this week, Rebecca! I do know that there is a Dead Is series, so I would assume you'd have to read them in order. I don't know though, I haven't read them myself.

    The Den of Shadows series looks really awesome! I may have to check them out.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott is amazing enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Atleast you tried to restrain yourself, eh? Living Dead Girl is really good and well-written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've received some great books! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cover of Huge, love the new header!*Cuteness!*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read Living Dead Girl. I have been meaning to pick it up, but I keep forgetting! Great books this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks looks really interesting. I've never heard of it. I'll be looking forward to your review. I can't wait to read Living Dead Girl! I just found out that my library has a copy of it, so I'm counting the days until it's back in. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow those look and sound very interesting especially looks. :) enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks seems neat. Jane in Bloom looks really good. And Living Dead Girl is heartbreaking but a really important book. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm, looks like some good stuff.

    I personally did not like Freak Show, but I look forward to your review so we can discuss! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been thinking about getting Living Dead Girl. Looking forward to your review. Here's what I got

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOOKS sounds interesting. I'm adding that to my wishlist. FREAK SHOW has a creepy cover and I hope I never see it again. *shudder*

    You got some great books this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great books this week! They all look really interesting. I hope you enjoy all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Living Dead Girl has been on my list for a while. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Living Dead Girl is really good... it's really haunting, but soo good once you've finished.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Living Dead Girl is so sad, but is an important read.

    The other books sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lot of great books with some yummy covers too! I have a couple of them but haven't read them yet. I'll be curious to read your reviews. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jane In Bloom and Living Dead Girl are both really good! I can't wait to see your reviews for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. lots of great books and such fun covers! hope you enjoy them all. happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks has an interesting concept. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks looks ... interesting :P


    :) Great reads this week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like you have some fun ones. I read Living Dead Girl and well.. it was something else. Shocking really. I hope you enjoy these!

    ReplyDelete
  23. great library haul! been meaning to read some marlene perez. looks like a fun series.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE Living Dead Girl. It's so beautiful in its own dark way. I see Scott just came out with a new one and I'm already wanting it - Love You Hate You Miss You, I think it's called.

    I went crazy at the library took but nothing fun - all self help and career books. Boring!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!