Friday, June 5, 2009

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

The Host by Stephenie Meyer
Published: London : Sphere, 2008

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that takes over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. Wanderer, the invading 'soul' who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves - Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.

I have mixed feelings about The Host.  There were some elements which I really liked and there were some that I didn't enjoy so much.  I am a science fiction fan so I really loved the parts where Wanda talked about the various planets and the different life forms that inhabit them.  I wished there was more of those parts throughout the book.
The story line itself was a pretty good one.  It's unique and different to any books I've read before.  I did feel as though the book dragged on a bit however.  While there was quite a lot of content in the book I felt as though a lot of it could have been chopped out.
In some ways I was slightly disappointed by the ending as it was another trademark happy ending for everybody, which Stephenie Meyer always seems to do.  I had no problems with any of the characters however as they were all very entertaining and original.
Overall, I quite enjoyed The Host.  It took me a long time to read it though because when I put it down it took me a while to want to pick it back up again.  I'd recommend this one to anyone looking for an entertaining and unique read.  Fans of the science fiction genre might also enjoy this novel.
My Rating: φφφφ

4 comments:

  1. The Host. :) I personally am a huge fan of it, and I like it a lot more than Twilight. It just makes me happy to read, you know? I do know what you mean about the beginning dragging. I was able to get through it because Lauren recommended to book to me, so I knew it must be pretty good. And while the happy ending is trademarky happy, I think it's a good thing. I wouldn't want anything to happen to Wanda or Ian or anybody. Interesting review!

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this book as it sounds interesting. But reading you review, I don't think I'd like the ending. I didn't like the ending to "Breaking Dawn". Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it took me a while to get into it but,I really enjoyed it a lot more than I expected since I'm not a huge fan of science fiction. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the first three Twilight books, though not the last. Stephenie Meyer strikes me as a bit odd. It takes alot for me to think that of an author being a Fantasy fanatic. Frankly, I'm not really in a hury to read this book, though I'm sure it will be forced upon me by my friends same as Twilight. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!