Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
Published: New York : Viking, c2009

Lia and Cassie were best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies.  But now Cassie is dead.  Lia's mother is busy saving other people's lives.  Her father is away on business.  Her step-mother is clueless.  And the voice inside Lia's head keeps telling her to remain in control, stay strong, lose more, weigh less.  If she keeps going on this way—thin, thinner, thinnest—maybe she'll disappear altogether.

The very first thing that drew me to Wintergirls was the cover.  I don't always judge a book by its cover but there's just something about the cover of Wintergirls that had me wanting to read it, I wanted to flick through the pages and devour the entire novel.  And I did.
Wintergirls, is the first novel I have read by Laurie Halse Anderson, I've heard so much about what a great writer she is and I have to say that everything I've heard is true.  Wintergirls had me clinging to every single word that was written on the page.  Laurie Halse Anderson has a really unique style of writing and it really captured the emotions of all the characters perfectly.  I really could not put this novel down.
The characters were developed marvellously I really felt for all of them.  I found myself feeling bad for Lia and her family.  At times I wanted to shake several of the characters and say "Hey, wake up look at what's going on."  The one character that I didn't particularly like was Cassie's mother I felt she was harassing Lia a bit too much.  But other than that everything about the characters was great.
As this was the first novel I had read about eating disorders I wasn't entirely sure what to expect but I have to say that this novel definitely captured my emotions.  I felt really bad for Lia and for Cassie.  It really put things into perspective for me about how bad eating disorders can be.
Overall, I have to say that I really, really loved Wintergirls, it is definitely a book I will be adding to my collection at some point in time.  I will also be reading more by Laurie Halse Anderson, her words are simply amazingly powerful.  I really could not put Wintergirls down.  I had to keep reading and reading.  The ending was great too.  It was a superb summation of everything.
So, I'd recommend this book to everyone.  I wish that I could just go around and put this into everyone's hands and say read this, it will stop and make you think.
My Rating: φφφφφ

5 comments:

  1. I loved Wintergirls! It really was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read Wintergirls too! It sounds like an amazing must-read book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the cover too. so many good posts on this book. ok, i'll go and get this book soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read it a couple of weeks ago and I loved it. I felt the same way you did, about wanting to shake some of the characters. Esp. Jennifer, the stepmom, when she's being super vigilant about her own daughter, Emma, and the fact that she clearly doesn't want Emma to gain weight. Also wanted to shake Lia a few times and tell her to stop killing herself, but I guess that's inevitable. Loved your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, yesss, this is one of my all-time fav books! I rated it 10/5 when I reviewed it here: http://bookalicious85.blogspot.com/2009/06/wintergirls-by-laurie-halse-anderson.html It's really amazing and fantastic and LHA is an extraordinary author! If you enjoyed this, you should definitely read Speak by her, it's brilliant too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!