Friday, May 15, 2009

Specials by Scott Westerfeld

Specials by Scott Westerfeld
Published: New York : Simon Pulse, c2006
Series: Book 3, Uglies

Tally thought they were a rumour, but now she's one of them.  A Special.  A super-amped fighting machine, engineered to keep the uglies down and the pretties stupid.
But maybe being perfectly programmed with strength and focus isn't better than anything she's ever known.  Tally still has memories of something else.
But it's easy for her to tune that out—until she's offered a chance to stamp out the rebels of the New Smoke permanently.  It all comes down to one last choice: listen to that tiny, faint heartbeat, or carry out the mission she's programmed to complete.  Either way Tally's world will never be the same.

I thought Specials was a great ending to the trilogy.  It had a nice summation.  I have to say that I was very happy with the ending.  I was also amazed that there were a couple of surprises hidden there.
My one complaint about this book is that it was a bit slow going at the start but then it got really great.  Specials is definitely worth reading.  Well, you have to read Uglies and Pretties first but the series is a really good one.
The characters were all great.  I found the ones that I absolutely hated became beloved characters for me in this book.
I really liked that the ending was swift and didn't drag on painlessly.
Scott Westerfeld has truly created a brilliant work of art with Specials.
As a little note I have to add that the Uglies series is a great one for making you think about things as they are now.  I know that I feel the whole series has definitely been very thought-provoking to me.
So, overall I really really enjoyed Specials.  It was utterly fantastic.  I would recommend this one to anyone who loves a good futuristic novel or a good science fiction.  Or anyone who loves the work of Mr Westerfeld.  I would also just like to mention that there is a fourth book in this 'trilogy', and I will definitely be reading that one very soon.
My Rating: φφφφφ

1 comment:

  1. Nice review. I have yet to read this series :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!