Saturday, May 16, 2009

Random Thoughts

Random Thoughts

I've been sitting here for about an hour or two flicking through websites about books, movies made into books, quotes from books and all sorts of other random things to do with books and I can't help but think about different things to do with books.
I'm not entirely sure how many people take the time to flick through and read the posts I put up, but I do have a question that I've been pondering over a lot lately and I just thought I might ask it here and see if anyone has an opinion on the matter.
It's actually a little series of questions but I am curious as to your thoughts.
Have you read anything or seen anything done by William Shakespeare?
If yes, what are your thoughts on his work? Do you think it's relevant in today's society?
Do you think that Shakespeare's unimportant or do you find his writing to be magnificent?
Also just as a little side note I'm curious as to whether or not people from the US study Shakespeare very much?

My opinion:
I really love Shakespeare, his language use is amazing.  I've had the chance to experience several of his plays in reading them, on film and on stage.  I even did a little stint acting in one little snippet of a Shakespearian play.  At first, I had to study Shakespeare for english at school and my first thoughts were "oh man, this is going to be so boring" but I somehow managed to fall in love with the words of William Shakespeare and am completely in awe of how he writes.  I also think that Shakespeare is definitely relevant in today's society because his plays are all about human emotions that are still experienced in this day and age.

Well, thats my opinion on the matter.  I'm just curious to hear anyone else's.

6 comments:

  1. i had to study shakespeare at school but im not from the US so cant help there. but i did enjoy it. ive also seen that romeo and juliet with leonardo dicaprio and i think that yeah shakespeare can be modernised and it can be really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have to study Sakespeare at least once at school. His work is amazing though sometimes difficult for me to understand. I think his writing is really important. However, like authors nowadays, not everyone will like/appreciate his work. I should really read more classic books. I'm not sure what I think about it being relevant to today's society. I'm not from the US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh darn! You're reading House of Many Ways! You must post a review when you're done. My copy's been sitting on my shelf for almost a year. hehe Have you read Howl's Moving Castle? I LOVED it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I've read Howl's Moving Castle it's one of my favourite books. It's so great. I'll definitely post a review of House Of Many Ways when I'm finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read a lot of Shakepeare, actually. Some in high school, some in college, some on my own. I enjoy watching it more than reading, though. I took a Shakespeare class for filler when I was trying to get pre-reqs together to apply for my Master's and the teacher ruined me for life. Yes, it's studied, but mostly English majors. I wish that it didn't seem as exclusive as my teacher made it out to be. I had the chance to see Titus Andronicus at Shakespeare's Globe in London, which was amazing. I think it's my favorite play, but also the goriest. It's definitely an experience. My other fav is Measure for Measure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Shakespeare. In the summer I especially love to see the various productions in outdoor settings. I studied only a bit of Shakespeare in middle school. I would've loved to do more. I plan on studying more of his works on my own someday. Also, I've enjoyed the Kenneth Branagh's movie versions of Shakespeare's works.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!