Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen
Published: New York, NY : HarperCollins Publishers, c2007
Series: Book 1, The Luxe


Beautiful sisters Elizabeth and Diana Holland rule Manhattan's social scene.  Or so it appears.  When the girls discover their status among New York City's elite is far from secure, suddenly everyone—from the backstabbing socialite Penelope Hayes, to the debonair bachelor Henry Schoonmaker, to the spiteful maid Lina Broud—threatens Elizabeth's and Diana's golden future.
With the fate of the Hollands resting on her shoulders, Elizabeth must choose between family duty and true love.  But when her carriage overturns near the East River, the girl whose glittering life lit up the city's gossip pages is swallowed by the rough current.  As all of New York grieves, some begin to wonder whether life at the top proved too much for this ethereal beauty, or if, perhaps, someone wanted to see Manhattan's most celebrated daughter disappear...

I really enjoyed The Luxe.  It was something different to what I normally read.  Nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed it.
This was the first historical novel I've read and it definitely was fantastic.  I felt like I was a part of that time.
There was only one thing that I found a bit of a downer for the novel and that was putting the ending at the start of the book.  The whole time I was reading it I kept thinking 'when is the ending coming up?' and it took away from the story a little bit.
Characterwise, I felt really sorry for Elizabeth, it would be really hard to be in her shoes and have all that pressure to please everyone.  I never particularly liked Penelope, she was too scatty for my liking, she was basically evil.  I have to say though I did warm up to Diana, at first I thought she was a bad person but the more I read the more I liked her.
Another reason that I loved The Luxe was that I thought of people back then to be perfect but all of the characters had their flaws and were just like people today.
Overall, I really liked The Luxe, there were several parts that had me hooked and wanting to know what happened next.  I also was a little surprised towards the end and so I will definitely be picking up the next book in the series.  I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good historical novel or anyone who would love a sneak peek into the lives of people who lived so long ago.
My Rating: φφφφ

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed The Luxe as well. Diana was my favourite character :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! I'm planning to read this series on my holiday in less than two weeks and I must admit I have quite high hopes for these books! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!