Saturday, May 16, 2009

In My Mailbox (7)

In My Mailbox (7)

The idea for In My Mailbox came from The Story Siren.

This week I am doing my post a little early.  Mainly because I know I won't be venturing out anywhere tomorrow.  Also, there's no post on a Sunday.  So, this week I ended up going a little overboard at the library, one day I went in to collect two books I had on hold and ended up with five books.  So anyway, I feel that I had a really good week in the way of books this week.


Rumors: A Luxe Novel by Anna Godbersen

After bidding goodbye to New York's brightest star, Elizabeth Holland, rumors continue to fly about her untimely demise.
All eyes are on those closest to the dearly departed: her mischievous sister, Diana, now the family's only hope for redemption; New York's most notorious cad, Henry Schoonmaker, the flame Elizabeth never extinguished; the seductive Penelope Hayes, poised to claim all that her best friend left behind—including Henry; even Elizabeth's scheming former maid, Lina Broud, who discovers that while money matters and breeding counts, gossip is the new currency.
As old friends become rivals, Manhattan's most dazzling socialites find their futures threatened by whispers from the past.

I just recently finished The Luxe and I was dying to know what happens next, so I managed to pick up the sequel, Rumors.  I also have to mention the cover, I love the cover, the dress is so cool.



Graceling by Kristin Cashore
In a world where some people are born with extreme and often-feared skills called Graces, Katsa struggles for redemption from her own horrifying Grace, the Grace of killing, and teams up with another young fighter to save their land from a corrupt king.

I love the cover of this book.  Ever since I read the description for the first time I have been wanting to read this.  I've waited for so long to get hold of it and now I have and I hope that it will be really really good.


Airhead by Meg Cabot
Sixteen-year-old Emerson Watts, an advanced placement student with a disdain for fashion, is the recipient of a "whole body transplant" and finds herself transformed into one of the world's most famous teen supermodels.

I've read a couple of reviews for this book and thought it sounded quite interesting, I've never read anything by Meg Cabot so this will be a new thing for me.  I do have The Mediator series on my list though.  One thing that makes me really want to read Airhead is that it seems to have a tiny element of science fiction and I do love science fiction.


Teach Me by R.A Nelson
Welcome to my head.
Let's hit the ground running.
With these words, high school senior Carolina "Nine" Livingston invites readers to take an up-close-and-personal glimpse at a secret and taboo affair.
Nine is immediately drawn to her new English teacher, Mr Mann; to his brilliant exploration of poetry in class, and to the way he talks to her like an equal.  What begins as a friendship between student and teacher soon becomes more, as the two tumble headlong into a passionate romance that goes against every basic notion of what's right and what's wrong.

I thought that I'd read this one because it seems to be different to the things I'd normally read and so should make for an interesting read.


Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard
When one of their tightly-knit group mysteriously disappears, four high school girls find their friendship difficult to maintain when they begin receiving taunting messages from someone who seems to know everything about their past and present secrets.

I've been meaning to read this series for quite a while because it sounded like quite an interesting one, so I picked up the first one and shall see how it goes.


The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
Frankie Landau-Banks at age 14:
Debate club.
Her father's "Bunny Rabbit."
A mildly geeky girl attending a highly competitive boarding school.
Frankie Landau-Banks at age 15:
A knockout figure.
A sharp tongue.
A chip on her shoulder.
And a gorgeous new senior boyfriend: the supremely goofy, word-obsessed Matthew Livingston.
Frankie Landau-Banks:
No longer the kind of girl to take "no" for an answer.
Especially when "no" means she's excluded from her boyfriend's all-male secret society.
Not when she knows she's smarter than any of them.
When she knows Matthew is lying to her.
And when there are so many, many pranks to be done.
Frankie Landau-Banks at age 16:
Possibly a criminal mastermind.
This is the story of how she got that way.

I've been seeing this book around for ages now, and I must admit that I was a little put off by the cover.  But then I read the synopsis and thought "oh this actually sounds like quite a good read."


If I Stay by Gayle Forman
"Just listen," Adam says with a voice that sounds like shrapnel. I open my eyes wide now. I sit up as much as I can. And I listen."Stay," he says. Everybody has to make choices. Some might break you. For seventeen-year-old Mia, surrounded by a wonderful family, friends and a gorgeous boyfriend decisions might seem tough, but they're all about a future full of music and love, a future that's brimming with hope. But life can change in an instant. A cold February morning ...a snowy road ...and suddenly all of Mia's choices are gone. Except one. As alone as she'll ever be, Mia must make the most difficult choice of all. Gripping, heartrending and ultimately life-affirming, If I Stay will make you appreciate all that you have, all that you've lost - and all that might be.

The picture for this one is really small because it's hard to find one for this cover.  For a while I thought that this might not be my kind of book but the more I hear about it, the more I want to read it to see what I think of it.


On A Good Day by Deborah Burnside
Lee is fed up with her out-of-control alcoholic mother, her absent father and having to shift towns and schools whenever life gets sticky.
Thank goodness for Evie, her surrogate nana next door.  Evie's house is Lee's safe haven, and her sewing machine the only way for Lee to enter the school wearable art competition - although being paired with Hinemoa, who is definitely not model material, is almost enough to stifle anybody's creative streak.
Then there's Gunna, heart-stoppingly gorgeous Gunna, her secret crush.
Lee struggles to keep up appearances, desperately hoping that one day things will be different...

Deborah Burnside is a New Zealand author and this is her first novel.  It was written a couple of years ago, but there is a good reason for why I want to read and review this book.  Which will be revealed all in good time.

So that was my week in the way of books.  Hope everyone else had a great week. 

24 comments:

  1. cool books. i read if i stay and it was really good. the cover of rumors looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got great books. I loved "If I Stay".

    ReplyDelete
  3. great week, I loved Airhead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Graceling is AMAZING! I'm sure you will love it! Have fun reading all these fantastic books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice List! I love the Pretty Little Liars series. It is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I Stay and Rumors look really good. I got Graceling and Airhead this week too. Teach Me has been in my TBR pile forever and I can't wait to readit. I couldn't stop thinking about PLL once I finished it. I loved it! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of books. Has to mean a great week of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to get my hands on Graceling, but my list of things to read right now is huge already. It's next on my list of "to-buy" though.

    I really want to check out Teach Me now, and I've been meaning to find a copy of If I Stay for a while now too.

    Great haul this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I Stay is amazing!!!!! Can't wait for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Graceling is wonderful. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snap - I have Teach Me too this week. I hope you like If I STay as much as I did. Happy reading

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Aweseome book week!! They all look great! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have you seen the UK covers for Graceling? Very pretty! I enjoyed Graceling as well, and I also got If I Stay this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh you have so many awesome books. Graceling is wonderfully beautiful. TDHOFLB was one of my favorite reads last year, one of best reads around. I have If I stay in my TBR pile and I need to read it soon. Enjoy your reads :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have some awesome books, some of my favorites. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I Stay, Airhead and Pretty Little Liars are amazing books. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great week! I heard If I Stay is great, and Teach Me also catches my interest. I think I'm going to have to add that to my TBR pile.

    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh, nice week! Rumors, Graceling, If I Stay... hope you enjoy them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. good books. Im wondering what you have in store for that book On a good day. it sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love so many of the books you got. AIRHEAD was so cute. I just finished GRACELING and liked it. I really liked TEACH ME. PRETTY LITTLE LIARS is suspenseful. Great haul.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I recently got graceling too....

    ReplyDelete
  22. All good stuff! All are on my tbr list except for On A Good Day by Deborah Burnside. I'll have to add that one because it sounds really good by the description and your cryptic note makes it more interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!