Friday, May 22, 2009

House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones

House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones
Published: New York : Greenwillow Books, 2008
Series: Sequel to Howl's Moving Castle

When Charmain is asked to housesit for Great Uncle William, the Royal Wizard of Norland, she is ecstatic to get away from her parents, but finds that his house is much more than it seems.

House of Many Ways was an interesting read.  It started off being really slow and boring at the start but then it got a little bit more exciting.  About 3/4's of the way through I started to get interested in what was going on.  Unfortunately this excitement didn't last.  I was a tad disappointed by the ending too.
As for characters, I was excited to see Howl, Sophie and Calcifer from Howl's Moving Castle.  But unfortunately they didn't make the book any more exciting.  I really disliked most of the characters, I found myself strongly disliking Charmain,  Peter and Rollo.
This is the fourth book by Diana Wynne Jones that I have read.  The first one happened to be Howl's Moving Castle and I absolutely love it and it is one of my favourite books.  Unfortunately, it seems to be the only one I have liked.
Overall, I found House of Many Ways to be slightly disappointing.  It just didn't seem to capture my attention.  I'd recommend this to fans of the fantasy genre and anyone who is a fan of Diana Wynne Jones.
My Rating: φφ

2 comments:

  1. I like Diana Wynee Jones books. They're all pretty interesting, and I kind of miss reading her series (I forgot what it's called) when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!