Friday, May 29, 2009

Cathy's Book by Sean Stewart

Cathy's Book by Sean Stewart
Published: London : Bloomsbury Children's, 2008
Series: Book 1, Cathy's Books

When 17-year-old Cathy wakes up one morning to discover a needlepoint near her elbow, her mother is typically suspicious and worried. But Cathy has other ideas and quickly puts them into action. In pursuit of her missing boyfriend (who she feels must be linked to the strange mark on her arm) she starts piecing some startling facts together which lead her into the dangerous underworld of San Francisco's China Town. Throughout her findings, Cathy keeps a secret journal and gathers many items of evidence as well as telephone numbers and websites - leaving it all for her friend Emma to find should Cathy go too far and not come back. All this evidence can be found, integrated into the book and also available to download online. Readers who fully explore this compelling and unique novel, will enter an alternate reality as they reach deeper into the thrilling mystery of Cathy's world.

Cathy's Book is an interactive book.  It's a mystery that you can take part in.  There are clues in the book that you can look at and make conclusions from.   There are also a couple of websites, here and here, which are incorporated into the book.
The story itself started out to be quite good.  It was different to what I was expecting.  But it was interesting.  I was reading it and trying to figure out what was going to happen next and such.
The characters were different, Cathy was different to characters I'd read in other books before.  I found Cathy to be an interesting person because she was rebellious but a good person in general.  I found Victor to be very mysterious but that was part of his character.
As I was reading through Cathy's book I was trying to piece the clues together but I have to say the outcome of the story was not what I had expected.  I thought that Cathy's book would be a normal, straightforward mystery story so I was not prepared for the ending.  However, the story was a very good one.
There was one downside to the book however, there were a lot of little pictures and such drawn around the edges but sometimes they got in the way of the text so I had to strain my eyes to figure out what the words were.
Overall, I quite liked Cathy's Book, it was something different and the interactive element was quite cool.  I will definitely be reading the other two in the series.  I'd recommend this one to anyone who loves a good mystery, good characters and anyone who loves interactive story's.  So give it a try.
My Rating: φφφφ

1 comment:

  1. I thought this was a fun read, too. I agree with you though, that when the drawings crept into the text, they made it hard to read. That was a bit frustrating.

    I enjoyed your review, so I've linked to you here.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!