Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Evermore by Alyson Noël

Evermore by Alyson Noël
Published: St. Martin's Griffin, 2009
Series: Book 1, The Immortals




After a horrible accident claims the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever Bloom can see people's auras, hear their thoughts, and know someone's entire life story by touching them. Going out of her way to avoid human contact and suppress her abilities, she has been branded a freak at her new high school – but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste. Damen is gorgeous, exotic, and wealthy. He's the only one who can silence the noise and random energy in her head – wielding a magic so intense, it's as though he can peer straight into her soul. As Ever is drawn deeper into his enticing world of secrets and mystery, she's left with more questions than answers. And she has no idea just who he really is – or what he is. The only thing she knows to be true is that she's falling deeply and helplessly in love with him.


I found Evermore to be a very thought-provoking book. The whole time I was reading it I kept thinking about how it would be so cool to be a psychic like Ever is. I also kept thinking, where is this book taking me? What is going on? And when are things going to start falling into place?
Fortunately I found that most of these questions were answered in a roundabout way. My overall, feeling on the book is that it had a strange angle. It definitely had its likeable parts and then there were also a few parts here and there that I found to be a bit overdone.
I have mixed feelings about Evermore. I really did like reading it, but there was just something about the book that keeps niggling at the back of my mind. Almost like I wasn't fully satisfied with the ending of the book.
Actually, I felt the ending was a little lacking. It definitely did leave some room for a sequel (which I know there is). But seriously I thought that the conclusions and explanations at the end could've had a bit more to them. I felt the book ended quite abruptly.
One thing I felt was a bit overdone was the fact that Damen knew all these famous people from the past. To me it just seemed a bit excessive. I mean, I know he's lived for a really long time and everything but would he really have been friends with so many different famous people. Even the ones who didn't become famous until after they died.
On a more positive note however, I found the story line of the book to be quite an enjoyable one. It was different to other books and I haven't really read a good fantasy novel for a while.
Several of the characters were quite loveable as well. I really like Riley, she was pretty neat. I have to say though that I did get a bit teary-eyed towards the end of the book because I had really come to like Riley.
I didn't mind the character Ever, she was quite a good character. She definitely seemed human. I thought it was great that she had both strengths and weaknesses.
I wasn't a huge fan of Damen, I mean I know he has had a lot of time to perfect a lot of things but he just seems too perfect.
The romance element in Evermore was quite decent. The book wasn't overloaded with romance it was just subtly there.
I loved the references to the flowers. I thought that was absolutely fantastic.
So, my final thoughts on Evermore. It was a pretty good read actually. There are a few unanswered questions that are sitting there waiting. But I definitely am going to read the next book, Blue Moon. So I would say to anyone interested in reading this book, go ahead and read it, it's actually a pretty good read.
My rating:φφφφ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!